Mom, Mama, Drew and Jack

Mom, Mama, Drew and Jack
the adventures of 2 boys and their moms

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Called into the Principal's Office

On Monday I got the dreaded note in my mailbox- "Carrie, please see me before the end of the day." Now, I didn't think I was in trouble as it was only Monday and I couldn't be in trouble yet, right? I almost wish I had been in trouble because it may have been better than the news I received. Due to MAJOR budget cuts and the fabulous passing of a tax cap in the city where I work - my position has been cut for next year.

Now, you have to understand that this position is my dream job. When I was working on my master's degree a few years back I always said that my dream job would be to teach computer classes to kids. Well, for the past two years, that is what I have been doing. I absolutely love it. The icing on the cake with this job is also the fact that I do not have to deal with parents, correct papers, do report cards, etc - all of that "stuff" that takes up all of your free time when you are a classroom teacher.

The good news in all of this is that even though my position was cut, I have enough senority in the district (10 years) that I still have a job. But that job will be back in the classroom. They won't be able to tell me what grade or where (we have 7 elementary schools) until probably the end of June. I hate the fact that I will be in limbo for the next few months. If I had known this might happen, I would have never left the classroom 2 years ago.....

Deep down, I am truly happy that I still have a job as that is a better situation to be in than the first and second year teachers who will lose their jobs totally. But it still sucks ......big time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh crap, that really, really sucks.

is it possible the dream position will be reinstated once the economy improves? how can they cut computer classes permanently?!

cindyhoo2 said...

Yikes! I am sorry that your dream position is ending. I agree that it is better to have a position than not, but the waiting game would also make me nervous. I hope you get a grade you love to teach in a school you like.

tireegal68 said...

I am so sorry about your job ending and having to go back into the classroom.
That really is horrible news!
I hope that you at least get a good classroom assignment and that you can be back teaching computers one day.