Mom, Mama, Drew and Jack

Mom, Mama, Drew and Jack
the adventures of 2 boys and their moms

Friday, November 6, 2009

Celebrity Day

Friday is my day each week to feel like a celebrity. I work in one school Mon - Thur and in a different school on Friday. My Friday school is smack dab in the middle of one of the worst neighborhoods in the city. Lots of alcohol and drug abuse on the part of the parents, high poverty level, abuse, neglect, etc. It is a small school of only 70 kids who are all very needy.

Well, when I go there on Fridays, I always say that it is my day to feel like a celebrity. When I pull up and I'm unloading my car, there are always about 20 kids screaming my name. They fight over who gets to hold the door open for me. Walking up the sidewalk is like walking the red carpet. When the kids see me as they are all walking into morning meeting, they are waving and calling my name. They are so excited to see me each week.

Mostly they love it because we have fun - I take each class for 30 minutes on the computer in the morning, and then for 40 minutes in the afternoon for Science. I'm lucky - just the nature of my job equals fun to the kids - I don't have to try real hard! I don't have to worry about the reading and math, and all of that other day to day stuff.

So, I enjoy my celebrity day each Friday, but I also leave every Friday counting my blessings. Working in a place like that where the kids have such hard lives really makes me thankful for the wonderful life I have. I can't imagine living like they do. I am so thankful for all that I have!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

This is wonderful to hear on so many levels... It makes me glad to hear that schools are working to bring the same level of education to their school. It just goes to show that kids do and can love school. I'm glad that they appreciate you. You'll be one of those teachers who'll they remember long after they finish high school. 70 kids in a school sounds really tiny. How many are in your classroom?

Anonymous said...

Imagine the difference you may be making in even one child! Those kids will remember you and how you cared about them.
Thinking of you, Carrie....more often than you know. With love, Mrs. R

cindyhoo2 said...

I do my job for all the reasons you just described. Kids in tough places and situations are still kids and the smallest things can make them happy. A child ought to know some joy in every day. You seem so honored to be that joy for 70 kids on Fridays. You really are making a difference in their lives.

I love this post.

Unknown said...

You're amazing :)